Tech Brief 01-01-012Reverse Engineering Flight Grip
Flight simulators and maintenance trainers require components to have the same look and feel as those in the original aircraft.
Purchase components, which can be very expensive, or attempt to reverse engineer using calipers and hand tools. This is extremely time consuming and produces questionable results.
- Original part (Figure 1) is Laser scanned in house using the Konica Minolta Range 7 scanner. (accuracy of .0015”)
- Scan Data is registered, merged, and aligned in Rapidform XOR to produce a polygon mesh (Figure 2).
- Mesh is used as a reference to develop solid model.
- Feasible to obtain quality data previously unavailable by other means.
- Accurate model in Parasolid or IGES formats.
- 3D model available to Manufacture, Rapid Prototype, or run analysis (FEA, CFD).
Get Started Today
Figure 1 – Original Flight Grip
Figure 2 – Laser Scanned Data
Figure 3 – Final Solid Model